Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Chicken Potato Delight

Another successful new recipe attempt... kind of.

Make this casserole at your own risk! I followed the directions exactly, and ended up with a thick layer of burnt cheese on the top. I ended up having to take that layer off, donate it to the trash can, and then add another layer of cheese and just put it into the oven long enough for it to melt. The next time I make this, I'll wait until about 10 minutes before it's done and then add the cheese and put it back in for the last 10 minutes, rather than following the directions.

It was pretty annoying, but since my nephew announced, "Bikki Boo, this one's a keeper!" and my niece proclaimed it to be "the bomb", I've decided to add it to our recipe collection. :)

This is the original recipe...

Ingredients:
1 can (10-3/4 oz) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
3/4 c. sour cream
1/4 c. milk
1 c. cubed cooked chicken (I thought that seemed pretty skimpy, so I doubled the chicken)
2-1/2 c. (10 oz) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
2-1/2 c. frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
1 can (2.8 oz) french-fried onions
1 c. crushed sour cream and onion potato chips

Instructions:
In a bowl, combine soup, sour cream, milk, chicken, and 1-1/4 cups of the cheese. Spread 3/4 of the mixture into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle hash browns over the top and press down lightly. Spread with the remaining soup mixture.

Sprinkle with onions, potato chips, and remaining cheese. (Caution! See my note above.) Bake, uncovered, at 350F for 1 hour or until bubbly. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.

No comments: